Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's Not About You



"You don't need to find yourself, you need to lose yourself. You need to have something that transcends yourself in order to make your life meaningful. And that's impossible if you're constantly referring to yourself as the be-all and end-all of your existence." -RC Sproul




"It is a poor centre of a man's actions, himself." -Francis Bacon




I think these fellas are on to something -- even if one of them wears a funky collar.




What do you think?

2 comments:

Roger Howell said...

Why can't we understand something so simple? Actually I think we do, but self is so much more interesting,(to no one else in the universe.)

John Bobo said...

Good thought Roger, I think part of the problem is that we want to be in control all the time, so we certainly can't "lose ourselves" or we wouldn't be in control. When I finally figured out that the world didn't revolve around me, my life started getting a lot easier, and as R.C. Sproul says, I also discovered someone that transcended me. I just wish I had discovered Him sooner.