Thursday, November 6, 2008

Caroline Cast Her Vote

My 8-year-old asked me recently what the difference was between John McCain and Barack Obama. She didn't know which one she should be rooting for. I decided that I didn't want to tell her who she "should" like best, but that I would instead try to explain the differences between political parties.

Now, let me reiterate that my daughter is 8 years old. So, I thought about it for a little while, and I finally boiled it all down to what I thought she might understand.

I said, "Well, one way of looking at it is that Republicans want things to stay the same. Democrats tend to want to change things from the way they are."

Without giving me a chance to further illustrate my point with examples, she skipped away, satisfied.

Today she came home with a poster of the candidate she "voted" for in her third grade class.



Suffice it to say that in Caroline's world, things are just right the way they are!

I pray that whomever makes the big decisions over the next several years makes choices that keep my daughter's world as beautiful as she sees it now.

No comments: