Friday, January 30, 2009

Balancing Act

I spend an awful lot of time trying to find balance.

As a wife, mother, writer, artist, and employee, I struggle to find how much time to give to each of these roles without anything or anyone suffering.

Many churchy legalists would say that my roles as mother and wife should be the only things I spend time doing. I used to listen to that well-intentioned advice and found myself digging into depression. How can you give anything if you are empty? It didn't work for me. Other people's self-imposed rules never do.

Another balance I strive for is also a common one. When I think about what I want for my future, I begin to wonder what parts of my dreams are ego-driven and what parts are the desires of my heart that God has put there. What to surrender, and what to go for and make happen. Just because God's in control doesn't mean He wants us to sit on our backsides and wait for miracles.

I heard a woman say recently: "If you want to make God laugh, just tell Him your plans."

I sniggered at it because it's true to a point. Then I thought about how He tells us to pray for what we want and believe that it has been given to us and it will be ours (in Mark). He also tells us to bring everything to Him through prayer and petition (in Phillippians). I believe our words are powerful. I believe we often get what we speak -- good or bad.

I know. I think too much. I've been called "intense" by more than a few people. But heck, He made me that way. And I have big dreams. And I don't want to get in God's way if He has other plans.

Although patience is not one of my gifts, in an effort to maintain balance, I'm just going to try to take this life one step at a time. And hey, today is fabulous!

1 comment:

HC said...

We have a BIG GOD, your dreams are not something that God can't handle. Joel 2:28. God did make you "that way", and He has given you His Spirit to council and guide you. You will find that balance- go to a quite place and listen. You have lifted my spirits today- it is a "fabulous day".