Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Swim Lessons for Grown-Ups

Wanna go swimming?

Today I am taking my first-ever swim lesson. I figured at 40, I might want to learn how to swim correctly, and put away my 30-year self-taught swim technique that resembles a dog-frog combo. I mean, it has gotten me from point A to point B for that long, but it ain't pretty!

But, alas, it is STILL raining! Pouring rain! And that has dampened (pardon the pun) my enthusiasm for this lesson, which I have been looking forward to for weeks! Okay, I know I'm going to get wet anyway. Duh. But the pool is warm water. The rain feels like it just thawed out before it splatted on my head.

I thought about calling it off and postponing for a nicer day. But I think I'll just go for it. I've been a fair-weather exerciser for so long and it has not been a good thing. I start every spring in terrible shape. I want to ride my bike and run trails and play with the kids at the parks, and I'm dying until about August. The pain, the lack of oxygen, the jiggle, the regret for sitting on my butt all winter long! By the time I get to feeling fit, the cold comes back and I begin my pseudo-hibernation again.

IT'S TIME I TOUGHEN UP!

So bring it! Rain and all.

I'll hit the hot tub as soon as I'm finished!


No comments: